Extensive research has provided firm evidence upon which we can base our understanding of bereavement and its psychiatric consequences.
In this module we shall consider:
- the nature and neurophysiology of grief,
- the influence of bereavement on physical and mental health,
- study findings on the course of grief and the factors that determine good and bad outcomes,
- the major theoretical models that explain these findings,
- the interventions that have made it possible to prevent some psychiatric problems and treat others.